Saturday, June 29, 2013

Survivor Story - Raw Food Before and After


Prior to changing my lifestyle, I never would have imagined that I could have the tenacity to do so. I could not foresee my feeling satisfied with a diet that did not include all of my favorite foods: processed foods, cheese and desserts. But it was those very foods that were making me ill. When I was diagnosed with a potentially deadly degenerative disease, I knew it was time to make some changes.

I came to the realization that by modifying my lifestyle, I could have a profound influence on my long term health and survival. The first step I took was to have allergy testing performed. It was through these tests that I discovered allergies to dairy products and eggs. I realized that by removing these foods from my diet, I could not only improve my current diagnosis but also manage some chronic ailments that had plagued me for years - nasal congestion and headaches.

As soon as I eliminated dairy products and eggs from my diet, my nasal congestion resolved. As an added bonus, the frequency of my headaches dissipated by about 90%. Through my information gathering, I learned how detrimental processed foods can be to our health and the role that they have played in the epidemic numbers of heart disease, diabetes and cancer today. I knew that in order to regain my own good health, I needed to cut these out of my diet as well.

Among the eliminations I made were processed grains and refined sugars. I replaced these foods with more fresh, organic produce. I also incorporated raw nuts, whole grains and seeds into my regime. I was able to successfully shift my diet from almost no raw food to a daily intake of between 75% and 95% raw. And, I started to feel better.

The amazing thing was that while attempting to improve my health, I also started to shed excess weight. The goal was not weight loss, but it was certainly a welcomed side effect. The cooked foods that I prepare at this point in my recovery plan (which I now consider to be a life long lifestyle change) are made from scratch without meat, dairy or eggs.

Many of the raw foods that I consume are in the form of beverages. In the mornings several times each week I make a green smoothie that includes organic baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, mango and enough coconut water to blend. I also prepare freshly pressed vegetable juices several times each week. These are packed with nutrition and include an assortment of organic greens such as kale, celery, parsley, cucumber, swiss chard, collard green with green apple and carrot to sweeten. I also add a half of a fresh organic lemon in order to cut the pungent taste of the greens.

Keeping up this regime has enabled me to lose 50 pounds. I have regained my health and vitality and feel better and stronger than I have in years. That is my successful raw food before and after story!

No comments:

Post a Comment