Saturday, August 10, 2013

Food Allergies in Kids: Be His Advocate


I always wanted to be a mom. Finally at age 26 our first born son arrived in our life. STOP THE BUS! It was NO fun at all. From birth he was the fussiest baby I had ever been around. We would run a vacuum for 45 mins. to help soothe him (so the old wives tale goes). Nothing worked. I stopped eating dairy while I was nursing. Then we put him on soy formula. The poor kid was miserable and mom and dad were right there with him. At this rate, we were NOT going to have more children. The pediatrician thought everything was "normal". He was "colic". Sorry, I am not doctor but I had been around enough kids to know this wasn't just a fussy baby. By age 2 he had had C. Diff and we couldn't get rid of it. C. Diff is not typical in children. We were starting to see outbursts of rage, not typical tantrums. His Ear, Nose and Throat doctor would not allergy test him until he was 5. That's when I decided I was his only advocate in this world. I couldn't rely on what the pediatrician and E.N.T. thought was best for him which was to stay on soy milk and come to terms with his behavior. So many kids are diagnosed as autistic and I thought we were headed down that road. (I used to think Jenny McCarthy was a quack with her gluten free hysterics but I would soon totally agree with her.)

In my job I deal with several medical offices. On this one particular day I was spilling my guts to one of the nurses and she felt one of their doctors would be willing to see our child. After our first meeting this doctor knew that I was a very concerned mom and agreed to move forward with allergy testing at age 2 1/2. On December 31, 2008 our son was tested for IGE (food allergies) and IGG (food sensitivities) through a very simple blood draw.

What did I expect the result to be? "Yes, we have found your son to be very allergic to dairy." What was the result? When we saw our doctor for the follow up our 2 1/2 year old had pretty extreme sensitivities (IGG) to DAIRY, WHEAT, SOY and EGGS. His sensitivity to dairy was actually the casin protein. His allergy to wheat was the gluten protein. Wow, was I floored, overwhelmed and incredibly angry at all the doctors who didn't want to believe this first time mom! Immediately we removed all of the above from his diet. This was so hard and extremely overwhelming. Over the weeks and months to come we figured it out. We found great resources in our local Whole Foods stores, Meijer grocery and even Kroger. Almost immediately we saw a dramatic change in our child.

Over the next 3 years of his life we remained off dairy, soy, wheat and eggs. His breakfast consisted of gluten free, dairy free waffles or pancakes, some corn based dry cereal and of course Rice Dream Vanilla Rice Milk. Bread was definitely the hardest product to substitute. Many brands try very hard but bread just cannot be reproduced with rice flour, tapioca flour, etc. without being dense and hard. We used lots of corn and rice pasta. We found Daiya shredded cheese to be our best alternative for him. We bought So So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt and we were all set to go. I found myself crying about how incredibly different this child was (normal) with the diet his body required. What if I hadn't been an advocate for him? What if I hadn't fought? What if we had listened to the first doctor and never pursued the testing until age 5?

This past summer at age 5 1/2, 3 years into his new diet, we suddenly saw some changes in his behavior and tantrums that were not age appropriate for a 5 1/2 year old. Again, we went back to our doctor and requested to be retested. It was done on the spot at our request. Again, SHOCKER for mom! Our son's allergies had really changed. There is a difference between sensitivities and true food allergies. He had always just been sensitive to foods. (Although not to down play sensitivities, they can be extremely hard to live with.) The new test results showed that we had crossed the line from sensitivities to true food allergies. He was now truly allergic to corn. Well, why not? His whole diet for 3 years straight was full of corn. All of our wheat substitutes were corn products. HOWEVER the best news was to learn from this 2nd round of testing that after 3 years of eliminating certain foods at age 5 1/2 he was no longer allergic to dairy or wheat.

So now at almost age 6, we are off all corn. Which to most seems very overwhelming but when I encourage parents I say that all the effort of finding the right foods, products, extra money that is spend on groceries, is SO worth having a HAPPY, HEALTHY child. Right? So we are off corn. We have slowly reintroduced wheat and he seems to be doing well. We have introduced milk products but not pure milk. He still drinks Rice milk and he is still off all eggs.

The point behind all of this is that you have to be an advocate for your children. You might not be educated in the medical field BUT you know your children better than anyone else. No one else is going to stand up for, defend or love your kid like you will. Keep searching for doctors until you find one who listens and respects you as a parent. Talk with other parents about their struggles and experiences. I hope someday my child understands how much I love him and how his life is different because of the fight I put up for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment